Home > SMS Live Chat: Customer Support via Text Message
(Last Updated On: March 15, 2018)
*Agents cannot send files/pictures to the visitor at this time*SMS Live Chat allows your visitors to reach you by sending a text message from any mobile device. Those SMS messages will then appear in the chat portal for your agents to reply, sending an SMS right back to your visitor’s handheld device.
*Currently only available for US and Canada. UK clients can also enable SMS Live chat but they would have to contact us directly to set this up. They will not be able to enable this from within their Dashboard.
**$25/month per line. This function only allows one number per widget.
1.Login to the Admin Dashboard, select the Widget you want to add an SMS number to and navigate to your Settings tab. Across the top, you will find the ‘Channels’ tab. Click on it.
2.Click on the “Add text-to-chat number” button
3.Once clicked, the SMS number search will appear as in the above screenshot. You will be asked to select between the USA and Canada and then, you can search by area code or number combination to get a number that fits your needs. A series of available numbers will appear, providing best matches as priority.
4.Once a number is chosen, click the green ‘buy’ button to the right. You will receive a payment confirmation popup confirming that you would like to add this charge to your current plan. Click ‘Confirm Purchase’ to confirm. At this time, the $25 monthly charge will be applied to your current plan.
5. Success! You have attached the SMS number of your choice to your widget and you can immediately begin issuing your new SMS number to your visitors. Please note that you can only attach one SMS number to a widget and that is why the “Add text-to-chat number” button will now be grayed out.
6. This number is now tied to that widget and will route to the agents’ chat portal when they are online. The visitor can send images and text to the agent from their mobile device! *Agents cannot send files/pictures to the visitor at this time*
Please refer to the Communication Channels article for a guide on how to configure auto-greeting messages and how to respond to offline cases.
Now you can spread word about your new SMS Live Chat option. Many of our SMS feature users advertise their phone number on their web pages, business cards, or flyers to get the word out.
If you ever need to change the number, you can simply click the ‘bin’ button next to and confirm you want to delete it. Once a number is released, it will no longer be available for your use.
Only then you will be able to select a new one just as you did above.
Notes: If you have your own number that you would like SMS to Chat enabled for, this is also a possibility, but there are some criteria and limitations involved.
- The number must be a landline and we’ll need proof of ownership (a phone bill works just fine)
- It will take 2-4 weeks for the whole process of enabling your own number (whereas your SMS to chat feature will be available immediately if you were to use one of the generic numbers described in the article above)
- Our provider can only enable SMS to Chat for these numbers, not MMS (so no file/picture exchanges)
- It is an additional $10 per month to use your own phone number for SMS to Chat ($35 total per month) **Only US numbers
- Banning a visitor while they chat with you via SMS bans this number permanently.
- Send an email to support@SnapEngage.com with the phone number and billing address and support will be in contact with you.
Published May 30, 2017